When I was a kid, I loved to write stories, but I often struggled to come up with new ideas. One summer, my parents gave me a journal and a book similar to 5-Minute daily writing prompts as a gift. At first, I was hesitant to use the prompts because I thought it would stifle my creativity. But once I started writing, I found that the prompts actually helped me explore new ideas and develop my creative writing skills.
One of my favorite prompts was “Write a story about a magical creature that you discover in your backyard.” I ended up writing a story about a mischievous fairy who lived in a tree in my backyard. The prompt gave me the initial idea, but I was able to develop the story into something unique and personal.
Using writing prompts helped me break out of my writing rut and explore new ideas. It also helped me realize that writing is a skill that can be developed and improved over time.
If you have a child who loves to write or wants to explore their creative side, I highly recommend using writing prompts as a way to encourage creativity and develop their writing skills. Writing prompts are short phrases or ideas that inspire children to write stories, essays, poems, or other forms of creative writing.
( Disclosure : Some of the links are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase)
FUN CREATIVE WRITING PROMPTS FOR KIDS
Writing prompts are short phrases or ideas that inspire children to write stories, essays, poems, or other forms of creative writing. And here are some creative writing prompts to inspire your child’s imagination:
- Write a story about a magical creature that you discover in your backyard.
- Imagine you could travel anywhere in the world. Where would you go, and what adventures would you have?
- Write a letter to your future self.
- Create a story that starts with the line “Once upon a time, I found a mysterious key…”
- Write a poem about your favorite season.
- Imagine you could have a conversation with any historical figure. Who would you choose, and what would you talk about?
- Write a story that includes a talking animal.
- Create a story that starts with the line “I woke up and realized I was the only person left in the world.”
- Imagine you could switch places with your favorite book character for a day. Who would you choose, and what would you do?
- Write a story that takes place in a world where everyone has a superpower.
- Imagine that you woke up with the ability to talk to animals. Write about your adventures throughout the day.
- Write a story about a character who finds a magical object that can make anything they draw come to life.
- Write a descriptive paragraph about your favorite season, using sensory language (sight, sound, smell, touch, taste).
- Write a story about a group of friends who discover a secret passageway in their school.
- Imagine you were stranded on a deserted island. Write a story about how you survive and eventually get rescued.
- Write a story about a character who discovers a mysterious portal that takes them to different worlds.
- Imagine you have the power to time travel. Write about where and when you would go, and what you would do.
- Imagine you have a robot best friend. Write about your adventures together.
- Write a story about a character who wakes up one day with the ability to fly.
- Write a descriptive paragraph about a place you love to go to (e.g. the beach, a park, a museum).
- Write a story about a group of friends who start their own detective agency and solve mysteries together.
- Write a story about a character who finds a treasure map and sets out on an adventure to find the treasure.
- Imagine you have a secret hideout. Write about what it looks like and what you do there.
- Write a story about a character who can talk to ghosts.
- Write a descriptive paragraph about a favorite food, using sensory language.
- Write a story about a character who discovers they have a superpower.
- Imagine you are a superhero. Write about your adventures saving the world.
- Write a story about a character who is a time traveler and accidentally goes back in time to meet their younger self.
- Write a descriptive paragraph about a favorite book, using sensory language.
- Imagine you invented a new type of robot in the near future. How does it appear?
RELATED POST : WHAT DOES SHOW DON’T TELL MEAN IN CREATIVE WRITING
Encourage your child to use their imagination and creativity to develop their writing skills. Writing prompts can be used as a fun activity during a long car ride or as a way to get your child to practice their writing skills during the summer months.
Pin it for later