Are you looking for a puzzle which needs all of the skills from critical thinking , problem solving, arithmetic calculations and order of operations to solve it. Then look no further because this brain teaser will make you stretccccchhhh your brain to find out an arithmetic expression to get the desired result using some given numbers and operators. This 10 puzzle brain teaser was first featured in one of the commercial for Nexus 7 by Google Japan and it took the internet by storm.
The 10 Puzzle
So, let’s get started. Given the numbers 1,1,5 and 8 , can you write an expression using any or all of the operations + x – / to get the result as 10. And, before you jump on solving it, here are some rules you need to follow.
- You can use parenthesis in the expression.
- The expression should have all the digits 1, 1, 5 and 8 in it and each digit should be used only once.
- Exponents are not allowed so even though 8 + 1 + 1^5 = 10 , it is still not a valid solution.
- There is no limit on the number of times any particular operator ( + – x / ) is repeated in the expression.
- You don’t have to use each of the operator in the expression.
So, are you ready ? Give it a try and let me know your answer in the comments section.
Make your own order of operations puzzle by picking four numbers and basic operations to construct an expression to get the target number. Initially, may be your puzzles might be straightforward with + – x and / operations but may be you make them a little harder by using parenthesis. And who knows, after some fiddling around with numbers and using fractions and divisions, you might even come up with your own unique one of a kind brain teaser. These puzzles can help your kids to practice their order of operations.
Here are some more puzzles to keep you entertained.
If you would like to have stay connected then check out my facebook page
Happy Learning !